Houthi Rebels Kill Dozens in Attack on Yemen Port City
Yemen’s Houthi rebels killed at least 36 people in a missile-and-drone attack Thursday on a government-controlled southern port city, the latest blow to already faltering United Nations-backed efforts to end a four-year war.
The rebels said they targeted a military parade in Aden, the seat of the Saudi-backed government. The attack also left dozens injured, Yemen’s Houthi Ministry said.
The strike on a military parade was the worst violence to hit Aden since southern separatists forces, including Security Belt units, clashed with the Saudi-backed government of Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi in 2017 in a power struggle.
Analysts say the Houthis may be testing any weaknesses in the coalition following the UAE military drawdown in the south and western coast announced in June, which appears to have also emboldened Islamist militant groups in Yemen who carried out separate deadly attacks on southern forces last week.
Source: Maritime Security Review